PRIVACY PROTECTION NOTICE
1. Client Record and Personal Information:
The personal information collected about you for the purposes identified in this Privacy Protection Notice is held in a record called the “client record”. The personal information in your client record may include your name, address and telephone number, social insurance number, birth date, driver’s license, passport number, income, net worth, account holdings and the name, address and social insurance number of your spouse and beneficiary. Depending on the investment/insurance or service you request, additional personal information may be held in your client record. For example, if you have established a pre-authorized payment plan, your financial institution account number is recorded.
2. Providing Your Information to Carte Financial Services Inc.:
When you completed an application form or otherwise opened an account with Carte Financial Services Inc., you or your Carte Financial Services Inc. advisor provided us with personal information including, where applicable, personal information concerning your spouse and beneficiary. You may have also provided us with information when you gave instructions to your advisor about insurance and/or investments you had or wished to have. Carte Financial Services
Inc. collects this personal information, holds it in your client record, uses it and when needed, discloses it for the purposes identified in this Privacy Protection Notice.
3. Collecting, Holding, Using and Disclosing Information in Your Client Record:
Carte Financial Services Inc. may collect, hold and use the information in your client record. It may also collect personal information from, and disclose personal information to, third parties for the following purposes:
- A. Identifying you and ensuring the accuracy of information contained in your client record.
- B. Establishing and administering your account, determining, maintaining, recording and storing account holdings and transaction information in your client record.
- C. Providing you and your Carte Financial Services Inc. advisor with investment account statements and other information related to any insurance policies held, which you or your advisor may request as needed to service your account.
- D. Understanding your insurance and/or investment needs and eligibility for products and services and recommending particular products and services to meet your needs;
- E. Protecting you, your Carte Financial Services Inc. advisor and Carte Financial Services Inc. against error and fraud.
- F. Meeting the legal and regulatory requirements of various statutes including provincial securities legislation and federal money laundering regulations.
- G. Verifying information previously given by you with any other organization when necessary for the purposes provided in this Privacy Protection Notice.
4. Carte Financial Services Inc. may collect personal information about you from third parties for the purposes identified in this Privacy Protection Notice. These parties include your Carte Financial Services Inc. advisor, other financial institutions, insurance/segregated fund companies, mutual
fund companies and others who represent that they have the right to disclose the information.
Carte Financial Services Inc. may disclose to third parties personal information about you for the purposes identified in this Privacy Protection Notice. These parties include your Carte Financial Services Inc. advisor, your financial Representative’s company, other financial institutions, account statement preparation and mailing companies, Canada Post, courier and document storage companies, insurance/segregated fund companies and mutual fund companies. Other third parties could include Canadian government agencies such as the Canada Revenue Agency.
When Carte Financial Services Inc. transfers personal information to its service providers, we ensure by contractual means, that the transferred personal information is used only for the purposes for which the service provider is retained. If you wish to withdraw consent to the continuation of this information sharing or discuss the implications of such withdrawal, please contact us through one of the means listed at the end of this notice. In some circumstances, legal requirements may prevent you from withholding consent. Your decision to withhold consent may limit our ability to deal with you and may also limit the products and services that we provide you, because the collection of information and the disclosure to certain third parties is a necessary part
of making the product or service available to you.
Your personal information will not be shared with sales advisors of any other company without your consent.
5. Using Your Social Insurance Number:
Carte Financial Services Inc. is required by law to use your Social Insurance Number to facilitate required tax reporting to the Canada Revenue Agency. It may also provide the number to third parties engaged to provide income tax reports.
6. Employees and Advisors Who Have Access to Your Client Record:
Carte Financial Services Inc. employees and advisors may have access to your client record provided they have a specific need to know in connection with the purposes identified in this Privacy Protection Notice. Access is permitted only to the extent necessary for such purposes.
7. Location of Your Client Record:
Your client records, in electronic or paper format, are kept at the offices of Carte Financial Services Inc. and of your Carte Financial Services Inc. advisor. Paper records forming part of your client record may also be kept in secure offsite storage. Your client record may be transferred to other locations for disaster recovery purposes.
8. Right to Access and Rectify Personal Information:
Except in limited circumstances prescribed by the Protection of Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) and similar provincial privacy protection acts, you are entitled to access, through a written request, the personal information contained in your client record. You may verify this personal information and request that any inaccurate information be corrected. Please contact us through one of the means listed at the end of this notice. If your concerns have not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact our Privacy Officer.
9. Changes to Your Personal Information:
Please inform Carte Financial Services Inc. promptly of any change in the personal information that you have previously provided. Contact information is provided below.
Carte Financial Services Inc. appreciates your business and promises to handle your questions or input regarding personal information in a prompt and courteous manner.
Our Privacy Officer is:
T: (905)238-3535 x223
Carte Financial Services Inc. values your business and we thank you for your confidence in choosing our firm as your source for advice and products. As our client, you trust us with your personal information. We respect that trust and want you to be aware of our commitment to protect the information you share in the course of doing business with us.
Your Rights as they Pertain to Your Personal Information
- You have the right to know why an organization collects, uses or discloses your personal information.
- You have the right to expect an organization to handle your information reasonably and to not use it for any other purpose other than the one to which you consented.
- You have the right to know who in an organization is responsible for protecting your information.
- You have the right to expect an organization to protect your information from unauthorized disclosure.
- You have the right to inspect the information an organization holds about you and make sure it is accurate, complete and current.
- You have the right to expect an organization to destroy your information when requested or when no longer required for the intended purpose.
- You have the right to confidentially complain to an organization about how it handles your information and to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada if need-be.
How We Collect, Use and Disclose Your Information
When you do business with us, you share personal information, including sensitive medical information, which we keep in your file so that we may provide you with financial strategies, products and services that best meet your needs. We assume you consent for our firm to use this information in an appropriate
manner. We may use and disclose this information in order to:
- Communicate with you in a timely and efficient manner
- Asses your application for investment, insurance and other services available to you by our firm
- Evaluate claims and underwriting risks when required
- Detect and prevent fraud
- Analyze business results
- Act as require or authorized by law
What We Will NOT Do With Your Information
Carte Financial Services Inc. will not sell your information to anyone. Nor does it share your information with organizations outside of its relationship with you that would use it to contact you about their own products or services.
We Strive to Protect Your Personal Information
All employees, associated advisors and suppliers who are granted access to client records understand the need to keep this information protected and confidential. They know they are to use the information only for the purposes intended and this expectation is clearly communicated. Carte Financial Services Inc. also established physical and systems safeguards, along with proper processes, to protect client information from unauthorized access or use.
Your Privacy Choices
You may withdraw your consent at any time (subject to legal or contractual obligations and on providing us reasonable notice) by contracting our Privacy Officer. Please be aware that withdrawing your consent may prevent us from providing you with the requested products or services. We may occasionally use your
personal information to advise you of products or services we believe may be of interest to you or fit your personal circumstances. If you would rather not receive this type of communication, please advise our Privacy Officer.
425-6755 Mississauga Road
Mississauga, ON L5N 7Y2
T: (905)238-3535 x223